We’ve been discussing the ins and outs of mold in the home and mold remediation over the past month or two. The subject is wide and varied, and as a result, there is a lot of ground to cover. As a homeowner or renter you’ve probably heard many things about the damaging effects of mold on the home and on the person. Yet, not all of what you hear is completely accurate. There are many myths about mold that circulate causing confusion and wonder. Here are a few that you might or might not know:
All Mold Is Harmful
Mold is a vital part of the natural world. Without mold, life on planet Earth would not be possible. Of the estimated hundreds of thousands of mold species on the planet, only about 50-100 are suspected of causing harm to humans. The very young, very old or people with weakened immune systems are most at risk for respiratory problems attributed to mold exposure.
Only “Black Mold” is Toxic
Mycotoxins are metabolic by-products produced by several mold species. Scientists believe these may be hazardous to humans and animals. Mycotoxins are present only during certain stages of mold growth and their presence cannot be determined by the color of the mold.
Mold Is Best Detected by Visual Inspection
Although visual inspection is an important detection method, most people can smell mold even before it is visible. Certified Industrial Hygienists use air sampling to determine the presence of mold spores. Checking for high moisture levels in a structure is also used as a diagnostic method by mold inspectors because mold may be growing inside a wall or behind a cabinet—areas not readily visible.
Bleach Is the Best Way to Remove Mold
Bleach is not the industry standard for removing mold. Many plant based anti-fungals are more effective and better for the environment. Bleach and other mold removal chemicals available to the general public only kill surface mold, yet about ninety percent of mold growth occurs below the surface.
Mold Is Always Deadly
Mold is present in virtually every environment on Earth. Indoors and out exposure to mold is a daily occurrence. While some molds may be harmful, many molds are helpful; some can even save your life! Have you ever taken Penicillin?
These are just a few of the myths that we’ve heard in our day-to-day work. It’s important to remember that mold in the home can be prevented. It starts out small but can quickly escalate in scale if left untreated. If you have an outbreak of mold that you’re concerned bout give us a call. We’re more than happy to answer any questions you might have.